Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lock and load!

Yesterday, the wife and I went shooting with a friend of ours at The Bullet Hole to try out an assortment of handguns. We've been seriously considering getting a gun for home protection over the last few weeks. Thankfully Neufunk, who has a great student and fan of the firearms and a fellow history geek, has been our principle advisor through most of this. (Props!) But there is safety in a mutitude of counsellors, so we've been asking around also. Our shooting partner was a former SWAT member and gun enthusiast friend of ours.

We sampled a 9MM and two Glock .40cals, one with a shorter grip. My first shot hit the target in the groin, even though I was aiming at the chest. My wife's first shot was dead on in the chest. *gulp!* Between the three, I liked the .40 with the long handle best: more boom and easier to manage. I think my wife liked the 9mm the best but was okay with getting a .40.

On our way out, some other shooters let me try a .45cal. Wow! It has a nice punch and I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those! Or any of them, really...

3 comments:

The Irascible Neufonzola said...

I do not know of what it is that you speak! I do not own these "guns" or "fired arms", as you say. Ha ha! I sold them all last week at a tremendous loss in a private party sale, especially the ones that will soon be banned. And no, officer, I just happen to buy a lot of PVC pipe...and yeah, those freshly dug mounds of earth in my lawn? Gophers! Yeah, gophers, that's it!

Preference on trigger style?

A Pilgrim's Porridge said...

scary. both of you.

The Angry Coder said...

You're not gun shy are ya, pilgram?

I just wanted to sound like John Wayne ;-)

Neuf- We prefer the kind of triggers that end with a 'kaboom'. I don't think we've done this enough to discern big differences in some of the details like that.