Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lock and load!

Yesterday, the wife and I went shooting with a friend of ours at The Bullet Hole to try out an assortment of handguns. We've been seriously considering getting a gun for home protection over the last few weeks. Thankfully Neufunk, who has a great student and fan of the firearms and a fellow history geek, has been our principle advisor through most of this. (Props!) But there is safety in a mutitude of counsellors, so we've been asking around also. Our shooting partner was a former SWAT member and gun enthusiast friend of ours.

We sampled a 9MM and two Glock .40cals, one with a shorter grip. My first shot hit the target in the groin, even though I was aiming at the chest. My wife's first shot was dead on in the chest. *gulp!* Between the three, I liked the .40 with the long handle best: more boom and easier to manage. I think my wife liked the 9mm the best but was okay with getting a .40.

On our way out, some other shooters let me try a .45cal. Wow! It has a nice punch and I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those! Or any of them, really...

3 comments:

SQLFunkateer said...

I do not know of what it is that you speak! I do not own these "guns" or "fired arms", as you say. Ha ha! I sold them all last week at a tremendous loss in a private party sale, especially the ones that will soon be banned. And no, officer, I just happen to buy a lot of PVC pipe...and yeah, those freshly dug mounds of earth in my lawn? Gophers! Yeah, gophers, that's it!

Preference on trigger style?

Brandon Briscoe said...

scary. both of you.

The Angry Coder said...

You're not gun shy are ya, pilgram?

I just wanted to sound like John Wayne ;-)

Neuf- We prefer the kind of triggers that end with a 'kaboom'. I don't think we've done this enough to discern big differences in some of the details like that.